BTEC IT – Equivalent to 1 A level
- 6 GCSEs at grades 9-4 (A*-C) including either English or Maths
Please Note: You do not need to have studied ICT or Computing at high school.
What is it? (2 year course, equivalent to 1 a level)
BTEC Extended Certificate in IT is suitable for students who are interested in computers and how they are used. The course covers a range of subjects and is assessed by both coursework and exam components . Some assignments require extended writing about theoretical topics while others involve learning practical skills such spreadsheets and databases.
What will I learn about?
This course has four units:
- Spreadsheets: learning how to create and use spreadsheets
- Social Media and business: looking at how Facebook, Instagram and other social media sites are used
- Databases: designing and creating relational databases
- IT systems: a broad ranging theory unit covering all sorts of topics related to how computers work, how they are used and their impact on society.
You will develop a wide range of skills. You learn how to use popular software such as MS Excel and MS Access confidently to solve problems, the basics of building a computer and installing software, and you will carry out research and write extended reports on a range of topics.
What can I do with it?
Some students go on to study information systems at university. However many IT students choose the course to complement their other subjects. IT is useful for teaching, for scientists, for law, for humanities, business and accounting
At Loreto, Computing and IT are taught by one department and the staff work closely together. We are always very happy to discuss your choice of subject with you one-to-one and will help you decide which course is for you! Contact us via the website
Careers / destinations
On successful completion of the BTEC Extended Certificate, you can progress to employment or apprenticeship, or you can progress to higher education and continue with degree studies in the same, or related vocational area.
What makes Loreto’s computing department unique?
- Enthusiastic and committed staff with a range of experience in education and industry
- Excellent computer suites
- Access to computers in the study centres outside of lesson time